Monday, July 1, 2013

July Breastfeeding Mom of the Month



Hi, my name is Juliane Sykes and I love providing for my child the way God intended, by breastfeeding!  

Before I even had my child I knew I was going to breastfeed him. I always knew it was good for babies to be breast fed, but after getting pregnant I did what almost every mommy-to-be does, I researched! What I found was astonishing!   

Here are some of the facts that meant a lot to me:  

-Breastfed children have a 20 percent lower risk of dying between the ages of 28 days and 1 year 

-The immune factors in breast milk guard against invading germs and result in a natural buildup in babies of protections against many forms of illness.  

-Breastfeeding may protect babies from developing allergies.  

-Research has demonstrated a connection between breastfeeding and cognitive development (greater intelligence)  

-Recent studies show a strong link between breastfeeding and a lower incidence of obesity as a teen or adult.  

-The longer women breastfeed, the greater the mother’s protection against breast and ovarian cancers 

So as you can see, the benefits of breastfeeding are HUGE! But I worried, how was I supposed to feed him in public, how would he bond with my husband if he wasn't the one feeding him, and what if I couldn't produce enough to satisfy him?
 

After 41 long weeks our son, Jonathan Beckett Sykes arrived! He was born late in the evening and the breastfeeding consultant was not in. Our first night of feeding was all on me and I was scared. I'm not going to say it was easy, it was actually really hard. But by morning time I had developed a bond with my son that I never thought I could feel before. He needed me, and I now needed him.  

Every time he nursed we got better and better. Now, at two months old we are pro's. My fears were soon a distant memory. When my child his hungry, I feed him no matter where we are, I make sure I include my husband in feedings by letting him burp Jon Beckett after he eats, and with lots of support from the Livingston County Breastfeeding Counselor I know my body will provide for my child. But my biggest supporter is my son, every time he looks up at me and flashes a smile it makes my heart melt and I know he knows I am doing what is best for him.  

If I could give any words of advice to mommies-to-be or new mommies who have just started breastfeeding, it would be not to be ashamed of breastfeeding your child. You might feel embarrassed or awkward and that is understandable. I feel like society has put that stigma on breastfeeding. But there is nothing more natural than breastfeeding your child. God gave women the ability to birth children. He also gave women a way to provide for the children they bring into this world, their breasts.
 

Think of it this way: "If God Almighty came to you and said, 'I myself have designed a special food that will strengthen your baby’s body and develop his brain, which will comfort him and cheer his heart, and lay the foundation for his lifetime health and well-being. I have given this food into your keeping; I have placed it in your body; it is my loving provision for your child'—who would reply, 'No thanks, no divine gifts, I’d rather give him a can of Similac'?" -Juli Loesch Wiley

No comments:

Post a Comment