Wednesday, September 4, 2013

September Mom of the Month - Jaime Pittman

Mom of the Month
Jaime Pittman & Jase

 
 
First of all, I have an amazingly supportive husband! After three unsuccessful attempts at in vitro, we were faced with the enormous task of whether or not to choose adoption in order to have a family.  The past two years have been filled with social worker visits, photo shoots, sleepless nights of worry and coming to terms with the fact that I would never be able to carry a child.  As I mourned the loss of any possible pregnancy, I began to research the possibility of inducing lactation as an adoptive mother. 
Initially, I was concerned that people would think I was “weird” for trying this but a lactation consultant put my mind at ease by encouraging me to do what I felt was best for my baby.  I asked my best friend what she thought and she said, “If you can’t grow your baby, the next best thing would be to feed him from your body!”  I also met with my physician, and he, too, was very supportive. 
Initially, I had to start by taking a few different medications necessary to cause the significant breast changes needed to induce lactation. 
Once I “tricked” my body into thinking I was pregnant, I had to make it think I had given birth so milk production would begin.  So, I stopped one of the medications, added a couple herbs and started a very rigid pumping schedule. 
Since we were notified of our son’s birth almost three months before he arrived, I was able to be well into the pumping phase before he was born.  I had actually been pumping for almost a month when he arrived.  This allowed my body to respond more naturally once I was able to place him to the breast.  All of the literature regarding induced lactation with adoptive mothers was very specific in stating that breast feeding is usually for bonding purposes and may not provide adequate nutrition without formula supplementation.  Once we were into a routine, I was able to nurse him at the breast a few times every day as well as give him a bottle of pumped breast milk.  We did have to supplement with formula, which was to be expected.
As an adoptive mother, you have let go of the hope of so many experiences, like ultrasounds of the baby, feeling your baby move inside you, going into labor and knowing you grew your baby.  Once I found out I would be able to attempt to breast feed my baby I was thrilled that I would get to experience such a wonderful miracle!  Breast feeding is hard work when you have your child naturally and even more difficult when you induce your lactation but it is worth it, every minute.  The bond that we have made is so special and I truly believe that nursing my son helped him build trust in me and know without a doubt that I am his mother.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment